A printer is undoubtedly a great help in the office and at home. Yet it is only a machine and, as such, it can have flaws. Older devices in particular cause problems, leading to uncomfortable and unnerving situations. But it’s good to stay calm. One of the most common problems with inkjet printers is the device’s inability to recognize the cartridge. If the printer does not recognize the cartridge , this is a serious problem, but it can be solved with a few tricks and a few tricks . In this respect, it does not matter whether the printer is Epson, Canon , HP or another brand.
How To Fix Ink Cartridge Not Recognized Canon | 2022 Guide
The printer does not recognize the cartridge – Irritating, right?
You are printing documents with your device and do not foresee anything bad. Often, in doing so, you do not pay attention to the ink level of the cartridges , therefore, only after the warning message, you notice that you need a new cartridge! So you buy one for your printer model. It goes without saying that the purchase can also be made on the Internet, making it more advantageous and simple.
As soon as you have the new cartridge in hand, you can carry out the replacement. If the printer now indicates that it does not recognize the cartridge, the frustration can be great, especially since you have invested money in a new accessory.
It is often wrongly thought that it is the fault of the cartridge,then you throw it away still full. Yet, even with another cartridge, the problem returns and the error message is still there. This should definitely convince you that the headache is not related to the cartridge. The following tips will help you identify and resolve the real problem, so the printer can get back to work quickly.
The correct cartridge model is always indicated in the printer instructions, on the manufacturer’s website or on the used cartridge.
- Make sure you have inserted the cartridge correctly . To do this, follow the instructions you find in the package.
- The cartridge should make a clear click when inserted. Many people are too hesitant to handle a cartridge, so it can happen that the problem of non-recognition is due solely to a cartridge that has not been fully inserted into its guide.
- Proper opening of the package before use is also essential. Remove the protective film and all remnants of the packaging. In many cases, you forget to remove the small strip on the microchip, which prevents the printer from recognizing the cartridge.
- Sometimes, it can happen that you simply have bad luck and have purchased a defective cartridge . If so, have it replaced with a new one.
The printer can also be a source of error, not just the cartridge. For this, we now invite you to turn your attention to the peripheral. Older devices in particular can cause repeated problems, so it’s often not a bad idea to decide to opt for a new model.
- If the printer does not recognize only a single cartridge , the problem cannot be traced to the printer. Often it is the cartridge itself that is defective. If you have replaced cyan, magenta, black and yellow and all colors are recognized except black, then it is the cartridge that is defective.
- Test other cartridges as well, if you have the opportunity. If these are also not recognized, there is a hardware problem .
- A simple tip, but useful in many situations, is to simply restart the printer .
- Also, make sure you have the latest driver installed . If not, download and install the new printer driver from the Internet.
If, after following all the aforementioned advice, the cartridge is still not recognized, it would be advisable to contact the customer service of the respective manufacturer , but only after replacing an apparently defective cartridge. Often, customer service can help you with settings or other problems in order to have the cartridge recognized. In our printer guide, you will find the contacts of the various manufacturers.
Let’s start with a Brother printer that does not recognize the cartridge. To begin with, turn off the device, remove the cartridge and turn it on again: you will be informed on the display which cartridge is missing .
It is essential that the element in question has the so-called float lever , without which it can never be identified by the printer. It is also essential that the film that blocks the ink is open enough. If this were not the case, the jet could not escape.
Once these checks have been made, if nothing has changed, remove and put the cartridge back in the compartment two or three times. Shake the cartridge before placing it in the device , obviously gently so as not to cause damage.
What if an Epson printer does not recognize the cartridge? How should you go about it?
In this context, the best options are three:
- clean the copper section of the microchip with an eraser;
- take the cartridge , turn off the printer , also unplug the network cable. Wait about a minute before trying again;
- at most, replace all cartridges . Occasionally it happens that one cartridge is not recognized due to another.
An HP printer that does not recognize the compatible cartridge requires a different procedure.
A preliminary attempt is to reset the machine by unplugging the power cord and reconnecting it after a couple of minutes. If the problem persists, you need to find out the type of cartridge to figure out how to move.
For example, there are some HP models that have only one black and one tri- color cartridge . In this case, you will clean the electrical contacts after removing the protective tape , using a lint-free cloth moistened with lukewarm water.
Certain cartridges are not recognized if they protrude slightly from others. Some install with greater pressure , others with less . Collect all the basic information to find the right solution!
Do you have a Canon printer ? Also in this situation it may be useful to treat the cartridge with a damp cloth, not a cotton one because this often leaves residues. Alternatively, don’t forget to turn the unit off and on again as a reset operation.
What to do if a Canon printer does not recognize the remanufactured cartridge? Cancel the electronic ink check , as it happens that the cartridge is considered exhausted even if it is not. Press the ” resume ” key (sometimes “ok”, other times “cancel”) for multifunction printers or ” paper feed ” for non-multifunction printers . Notice that the cartridge has been replaced correctly should appear .
Finally, let’s see what we should do if the Lexmark printer does not recognize the cartridge.
Everything changes depending on the message:
- “ Cartridge error ”, whether right or left: remove the cartridge, close the lid, disconnect the printer cable, reconnect the wire, reinsert the cartridge;
- “ Missing cartridge ”: press the levers, take the cartridges, remove the tape without touching the golden area, place the cartridges again;
- “ Incorrect cartridge ”: Turn the device off and on again after approximately 60 seconds.
As you can see, these are three separate issues . Always pay attention to what appears on the display!
The advance safety is a black or orange plastic component found on the cartridge. In order to use the cartridge, you must remove both the protective strip and the safety strip . After doing so, handle the cartridge carefully to avoid contact with the ink.
To replace an Epson cartridge , the ideal is to use the wizard , which can be run from the print settings of your device.
Follow the on-screen instructions. The important thing is that the previous cartridge is empty enough to generate the replacement request.
If all of these tips don’t help, simply unplug the power cord from the outlet. Leave the printer unplugged for about 30 minutes, then try printing something. Does your printer not recognize the cartridge because it is a non-genuine model? In this case, use the original cartridges again and follow the steps described above
CONCLUSIONS AND FINAL SUGGESTIONS
It is not obvious to repeat it: before buying any cartridge, it is important to examine the compatibility with the printer . Read the code carefully, as even a single letter or number can make a difference.
Monitor the ink levels , and arrange the cartridges in the prescribed order (not the black instead of the magenta, etc). In jet instruments, carefully check the nozzles : in their vicinity there are electrical resistances that heat the ink, which must never overheat.
It happens that the printer does not recognize the cartridge for dirty heads . Here’s how to act: fill a basin with distilled water , in which you will wet the cartridge with the head downwards. Leave everything to soak for a few hours if there are stubborn encrustations. If you don’t have time, immerse the head in boiling water for 15-20 seconds.
As can be seen from our overview, the possible options are many. Don’t be discouraged if you can’t fix it right away: it may need to try multiple times !