Are you undecided which Large Format Printer For Photographers to buy? Would you like to print your photos but are you afraid that the device you have at home will get caught? Unfortunately, not all of us have a printer at home with the right requirements for our photographs, we often risk getting faded colors or even worse of indecent quality.
So, if you want to print your photos properly, here are the Best Large Format Printer For Photographers on the market!
But what’s the difference between one of these printers and one you surely have at home?
Always print your photos! How many times have I repeated this in the last 4 years of Modern Photography? At least 1 email out of 3 that comes to me is a request for help on how to print the photographs in the best way, but my answer is obviously always different! There is no better way, it depends on the type of photography, the quantity, and quality above all!
In what sense? In the sense that if you have to print thousands of photographs, logically you will not be able to make use of a printer but of special and professional services that at reasonable prices are able to print your photos such as Epson Stylus or Canon imagePROGRAF PRO.
If you want to print the photos from your smartphone, there are special printers. In short, to make you understand that there are printers of all kinds.
Also Read: Best Epson Printer For Sublimation
Best Large Format Printer For Photographers
The large format printers recommended in this guide are also useful for artists and architects when they need high print resolution and accurate colors when printing photos, drawings, and models.
Are you interested in 11 x 17 ″ large format prints, roll prints, or double size prints from 13 ″ (A3 +) printers?
Have you ever thought about the cost of paper, ink cartridges, and ink? Do I need a wireless connection for large format prints from my mobile device?
To answer these questions, let’s start with the best large format printers of the year.
Best Large Format Printer For Photographers | Comparison Table 2022
|Epson Stylus Photo R2000 Wireless Wide-Format Color Inkjet Printer (C11CB35201)||Epson||Check Price|
|Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-300 Wireless Color Wide-Format Printer, Prints up to 13"X 19", 3.0" LCD Screen with Profession Print & Layout Software and Mobile Device Printing, Black||Canon||Check Price|
|HP DesignJet T210 Large Format Compact Wireless Plotter Printer - 24", with Modern Office Design (8AG32A)||HP||Check Price|
|Canon IP8720 Wireless Printer, AirPrint and Cloud Compatible, Black, 6.3" x 23.3" x 13.1"||Canon||Check Price|
|HP DesignJet T650 Large Format Wireless Plotter Printer - 36", with Roll Cover, Auto Sheet Feeder, Media Bin & Stand (5HB10A)||HP||Check Price|
|Canon PIXMA PRO-200 Wireless Professional Color Photo Printer, Prints up to 13"X 19", 3.0" Color LCD Screen, & Layout Software and Mobile Device Printing, Black||Canon||Check Price|
|Epson Expression Photo HD XP-15000 Wireless Color Wide-Format Printer, Amazon Dash Replenishment Ready||Epson||Check Price|
|Epson SureColor P900 17-Inch Printer, Black||Epson||Check Price|
|WorkForce WF-7210 Wireless Wide-format Color Inkjet Printer with Wi-Fi Direct and Ethernet, Amazon Dash Replenishment Ready||Epson||Check Price|
Best Large Format Printer For Photographers | 2022 Products Overview
Also Read: Best Printer For Infrequent Use
Also Read: Best Dtg Printer For Small Business
Also Read: Best Printer For Waterslide Decals
Also Read: Best Printer for Vehicle Wraps 2022
Also Read: How To Make Prints of Watercolor Paintings
Also Read: Best Printer For Giclee Prints
How to choose Best Large Format Printer For Photographers 2022 | Unrivaled Guide
On the market, there are photo printers with different characteristics belonging to different price ranges. Faced with such a wide choice, it can be confusing, but knowing what factors to consider can help.
First of all, you should know that photo printers are divided into three types based on the technology used:
- inkjet: these are the most common. They work with inkjet and have moderate costs, even if you have to take into account a fairly frequent replacement of the cartridges.
- solid ink: they work with solid ink bricks which, at the moment of use, are melted to obtain the necessary ink and subsequently resolidified. Solid ink technology is mainly used to print on materials other than paper and has a low environmental impact.
- thermal sublimation: in this case, the high temperatures are exploited: to transfer to the paper, the color passes from the liquid state to the gaseous state. This technology is highly specialized and suitable for professional use. It also requires a particular (and expensive) type of paper and does not offer the ability to print normal documents.
In addition to the technology used, there are other aspects to consider when choosing the best photo printer:
- Color / Black and White: Most photo printers on the market print in four colors, which means they have four different color cartridges. Some models offer the possibility of printing in five or six colors: the cost is higher but the detail rendering increases considerably. If you prefer black and white, beware: not all color printers perform well in black and white. Before buying, make sure your printer guarantees good black and white print quality.
- Connectivity: Most recent models are almost all equipped with built-in WiFi so you can print from your smartphone, tablet, or directly from the camera. Some printers also offer memory cards, NFC, and Bluetooth slots for even more versatility.
- Multifunction: As we have mentioned, some models also offer the functions of a traditional printer. If you are looking for a device that can also print, scan, photocopy or fax text documents, be sure to purchase a multifunctional photo printer.
- Format: Another important factor is the supported photo formats. Most photo printers on the market offer the possibility of printing in the classic 10x15cm format, but there are also other options available (9 × 13, 13 × 18, 15 × 21, etc.) and it is good to check before purchasing.
Cartridges and Ink: Important Price and Parts Considerations
One of the biggest contributors to the cost of ownership of a photo printer are replacement cartridges. Before buying, always check the estimated life of the cartridges and, above all, the price of spare parts (including paper), to avoid having to incur unexpected expenses.
For traditional printers, manufacturers provide a cost-per-page indication that is a useful reference, but for a photo printer, it’s not that simple. The inks used are different, the dimensions of the printed photos are variable and each photo is different from the other in terms of color, which results in a different amount of ink required.
Estimating the cost of photo ink is almost impossible, therefore, but the fact remains that it is always advisable to inquire about spare parts prices before buying a printer.
How does a large format printer work?
Large format printers are inkjet printers, just like domestic printers. The paper is mechanically ejected by a rotating roller, and the ink in the cartridge is fed to the printhead and ejected from the nozzles.
Also Read: Best Printer For Barcode Labels
What is a large format printer?
Printers in larger formats are called super wide or large formats and can print over 100 ″ wide.
The last word
We hope that this summary of Best Wide Format Printers will help you make informed decisions on your next purchase.
No matter which model you choose, being able to print large format images is a great experience. The photographs are meant to convey the appeal of your work.
If you have any questions or comments, please write them in the comments section.