Choosing a printer for occasional use is not exactly an easy task. Basically, because there are different types of printers on the market, some are aimed at a category of users who need to make numerous prints on a daily basis, while there are few printers that can be fully suitable or at least recommended for occasional use.
Although this point actually needs a little clarification: in the various online e-commerce it is possible to buy all-in-one ink-jet printers for less than 50 dollars. And we’re not talking about unknown brands or brands with reduced functionality.
Best Printers for Occasional Use
I hope your ideas for choosing which printer to buy are a little clearer at this point than before. Before leaving you, however, I would like to offer you a series of printers suitable for all scenarios of use, both inkjet, and laser. Who knows, you might also find the one that’s right for you!
Also Read: Best MICR Printer For Checks
Best Printers for Occasional Use | Comparison Table 2023
Top Quality | 5- Star Picks | Great Prices
|Top||Brother Compact Monochrome Laser Printer, HL-L2350DW, Wireless Printing, Duplex Two-Sided Printing, Amazon Dash Replenishment Ready||Brother||Check Price|
|Epson EcoTank ET-2720 Wireless Color All-in-One Supertank Printer with Scanner and Copier - Black||Epson||Check Price|
|HP Envy 6055 Wireless All-in-One Printer | Mobile Print, Scan & Copy (5SE16A) (Renewed)||HP||Check Price|
|Brother HL-L3210CW Compact Digital Color Printer Providing Laser Printer Quality Results with Wireless||Brother||Check Price|
|HP OfficeJet 3830 All-in-One Wireless Printer/Copier/Scanner/Fax, HP Instant Ink, Compatible with Alexa with XPI USB Printer Cable||HP||Check Price|
|Dell E310DW Wireless Monochrome Printer||Dell||Check Price|
|HP Color LaserJet Pro M255dw Wireless Laser Printer, Remote Mobile Print, Duplex Printing, Works with Alexa (7KW64A)||HP||Check Price|
|imageCLASS MF445dw - All-in-One, Wireless, Mobile-Ready Laser Printer with 3 Year Warranty||Canon||Check Price|
|HP Laserjet Pro M254dw Wireless Color Laser Printer (T6B60A) (Renewed)||HP||Check Price|
Prices and images pulled from the Amazon Product Advertising API on:
Best Printers for Occasional Use | Products Overview 2023
1. Brother Compact Monochrome Laser Printer
- Print more, wait less. Engineered for increased efficiency with class leading print speeds of up to 32 pages per minute.
- Dynamic features accommodate your evolving needs. The 250-sheet paper capacity helps improve efficiency with less refills and handles letter or legal sized paper.
- Flexible printing. The manual feed slot offers flexible paper handling for a variety of papers and sizes, such as card stock, envelopes, etc. to help you create professional looking documents.
- Printing as mobile as you are. Print wirelessly from your desktop, laptop, smartphone and tablet.
- Connect your way. Versatile connection options with built-in wireless or connect locally to a single computer via its USB interface.
- Save up to 50% on toner with Refresh EZ Print Subscription Service(1). For one low monthly payment, get Brother Genuine Toner delivered right to your door, before you need it. Up to 4 months free trial included(2). Plus get 1,000 bonus pages when you enroll within 7 days of setup(3).
The Brother Compact Monochrome Laser Printer, HL-L2350DW, is a high-performance printer designed for increased efficiency and productivity. With a class-leading print speed of up to 32 pages per minute, this printer can quickly handle large print jobs without slowing down. Additionally, the 250-sheet paper capacity helps to reduce the need for frequent refills and can accommodate letter or legal sized paper.
One of the most dynamic features of this printer is its flexibility in printing. The manual feed slot offers the ability to handle a variety of paper types and sizes, including card stock and envelopes. This allows for the creation of professional-looking documents with ease. Additionally, the printer offers wireless printing capabilities, making it easy to print from a desktop, laptop, smartphone, or tablet.
In addition to its high-performance features, this printer also offers versatile connection options. Users can connect wirelessly or via the USB interface for local printing. Another benefit of the Brother Compact Monochrome Laser Printer is the opportunity to save up to 50% on toner through the Refresh EZ Print Subscription Service.
- High print speed of 32 pages per minute
- Large paper capacity of 250 sheets
- Flexible paper-handling options
- Wireless printing capabilities
- Potential to save up to 50% on toner with a subscription service
- Only monochrome printing
- A subscription service is required for maximum savings on toner
- Limited connectivity options (only wireless or USB)
2. Epson EcoTank ET-2720
- Your family needs a printer that’s fast, affordable, and easy to use. That’s why we developed the EcoTank ET-2720 – an innovative cartridge-free solution that uses high-capacity, easily refillable ink tanks. So you’ll worry less about running out of ink, and save a lot on replacement ink1. The ET-2720 features genuine Epson print quality, a high-resolution flatbed scanner, and convenient color display – making it the ideal basic home printer.
- Innovative Cartridge-Free Printing ― High-capacity ink tanks mean no more tiny, expensive ink cartridges; Epson’s exclusive EcoFit ink bottles make filling easy and worry-free
- Dramatic Savings on Replacement Ink ― Save up to 90% with replacement ink bottles vs. ink cartridges (1) – that’s enough to print up to 4,500 pages black/7,500 color (2), equivalent to about 90 individual ink cartridges (3)
- Stress-Free Printing — Up to 2 years of ink in the box (4) – and with every replacement ink set – for fewer out of ink frustrations
- Zero Cartridge Waste – By using an EcoTank printer, you can help reduce the amount of cartridge waste ending up in landfills
- Impressive Print Quality ― Unique Micro Piezo Heat-Free Technology produces sharp text – plus impressive color photos and graphics – on virtually any paper type
- Built-in Scanner & Copier ― High-resolution flatbed scanner and a color display for easy document copying and navigation
- Modern Connectivity ― Features wireless, plus hands-free voice-activated printing (5). Easily print from your smart device (6) with the intuitive Epson Smart Panel App (7)
- Designed for Reliability ― Worry-free 2-year limited warranty with registration (8), including full unit replacement
- Epson strongly recommends the use of Genuine Epson inks for a quality printing experience; Non Epson inks and inks not formulated for your specific printer may cause damage that is not covered by the Epson warranty
The Epson EcoTank ET-2720 is a wireless color all-in-one printer with a scanner and copier that is designed for home use. It uses high-capacity, refillable ink tanks instead of traditional cartridges, which means you won't have to worry about running out of ink as often. This innovative solution can save you up to 90% on replacement ink costs, enough to print up to 4,500 pages in black and 7,500 in color. The printer also comes with up to 2 years of ink in the box, so you can start printing right away.
The EcoTank ET-2720 boasts impressive print quality thanks to its Micro Piezo Heat-Free Technology, which produces sharp text and impressive color photos and graphics on virtually any paper type. It also features a high-resolution flatbed scanner and a color display for easy document copying and navigation. The printer is also designed for reliability with a 2-year limited warranty, including full unit replacement if needed.
The printer is also designed for ease of use with modern connectivity features such as wireless and hands-free voice-activated printing. You can also easily print from your smart device using the Epson Smart Panel App. Epson strongly recommends using genuine Epson inks for the best printing experience, as non-Epson inks may cause damage that is not covered by the warranty.
- Innovative cartridge-free printing with high-capacity, easily refillable ink tanks
- Can save up to 90% on replacement ink costs
- Up to 2 years of ink in the box for fewer out of ink frustrations
- Impressive print quality with unique Micro Piezo Heat-Free Technology
- Built-in scanner and copier with high-resolution flatbed scanner and a color display
- Only recommended to use Epson brand inks
- Not specified if the printer could handle heavy or frequent usage
- Not specified if the printer has automatic duplex printing feature.
3. HP Envy 6055
- All-in-one versatility: Handle tasks at home with print, scan, and copy versatility, and save time and paper with automatic two-sided printing from a color printer made with 20% recycled plastic
- Ink delivered to your home: get your first 2 months free when you enroll in HP Instant Ink (optional) during printer set up; plans starting at $2.99 per month after the trial period, shipping and recycling included
- Mobile setup with the HP Smart app: Get started fast with easy printer setup that guides you, step by step; simply download the HP Smart app, connect to Wi-Fi, and share the inkjet printer across all your devices
- Better-than-ever connectivity: Ensure your family stays connected with self-healing Wi-Fi; this all-in-one printers Bluetooth 5.0 technology also lets the family connect and print from their smartphone or tablet
- Print and scan from virtually anywhere: With the HP Smart app, everyone in the family can print, scan, and copy from their smartphone, and share documents to third-party software like Dropbox and Google Drive
- Borderless photos: This wireless printer lets you print borderless photos and documents at home
- One-year limited hardware warranty: Get help with 24-hour, 7 days a week free Web support
The HP Envy 6055 Wireless All-in-One Printer is a versatile and efficient printer that can handle all your printing, scanning, and copying needs at home. It is made with 20% recycled plastic and has automatic two-sided printing to save time and paper. This printer also comes with the option to enroll in HP Instant Ink during set up, where you can get your first 2 months free and plans starting at $2.99 per month after the trial period, including shipping and recycling.
One of the key features of this printer is its mobile setup with the HP Smart app. This allows for easy printer setup that guides you step by step, and you can simply download the app, connect to Wi-Fi, and share the inkjet printer across all your devices. Additionally, this printer has better-than-ever connectivity, with self-healing Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 5.0 technology, enabling the whole family to connect and print from their smartphones or tablets.
- All-in-one versatility with print, scan and copy capabilities.
- Automatic two-sided printing saves time and paper.
- Option to enroll in HP Instant Ink for ink delivery to your home.
- Easy setup with the HP Smart app and better-than-ever connectivity.
- Borderless photo printing capability.
- Ink cost may be high for heavy usage.
- The printer needs a stable internet connection for mobile printing.
- The printer may have compatibility issues with some third-party software.
4. Brother HL-L3210CW
- Fast printing to keep you moving: The Brother HLL3210CW Digital Color Printer lets you get things done with up to 19 pages per minute print speed
- Enjoy easy and affordable color printing: Affordably print professional quality, rich, vivid color documents with laser printer quality
- Versatile paper handling helps increase productivity: Help minimize refills with the 250 sheet paper tray, adjusting for letter or legal paper. The manual feed slot handles a variety of paper types and sizes, including card stock, envelopes, etc
- Print and connect your way: The HLL3210CW offers wireless mobile device printing(1) and built in wireless, WiFi Direct and USB interfaces
- For use with brother genuine toner: TN223BK, TN223C, TN223M, TN223Y, TN227BK, TN227C, TN227M, TN227Y
The Brother HL-L3210CW is a compact digital color printer that provides laser printer quality results with wireless connectivity. With a fast print speed of up to 19 pages per minute, this printer is designed to keep you moving and productive.
One of the standout features of the HL-L3210CW is its easy and affordable color printing. This printer allows you to affordably print professional quality, rich, vivid color documents with laser printer quality. Additionally, its versatile paper handling capabilities can help increase productivity by minimizing the need for refills with its 250 sheet paper tray that can adjust for letter or legal paper. The manual feed slot also handles a variety of paper types and sizes, including card stock and envelopes.
The HL-L3210CW also offers a range of connectivity options, including wireless mobile device printing, built-in wireless, WiFi Direct, and USB interfaces. It is also designed to work with Brother Genuine toner, including TN223BK, TN223C, TN223M, TN223Y, TN227BK, TN227C, TN227M, TN227Y. Overall, the Brother HL-L3210CW is a powerful and efficient printer that is perfect for any small office or home office setting.
- Fast print speed of up to 19 pages per minute.
- Easy and affordable color printing with laser printer quality results.
- Versatile paper handling capabilities with a 250 sheet paper tray and manual feed slot.
- Multiple connectivity options including wireless mobile device printing and built-in wireless.
- Designed to work with Brother Genuine toner.
- It’s a compact printer, not suitable for high volume printing
- It doesn’t have automatic duplex printing
- It has a manual feed tray, so it’s not suitable for high volume printing with different paper types and sizes.
5. HP OfficeJet 3830
- Main functions of this HP color inkjet photo printer: copy, scan, fax, wireless printing, two-sided duplex printing and scanning, color touchscreen, automatic document feeder, Instant Ink ready so youll never run out of ink, and more
- The power of your printer in the palm of your hand: The HP Smart app allows you to easily set up your printer, scan from your smartphone, order toner, and print from the cloud—such as iCloud, Dropbox and Google Drive
- Ink delivered to your home: Get your first 2 months free when you enroll in HP Instant Ink (optional) during printer set up; plans starting at 0.99 dollar per month after the trial period, shipping and recycling included
- Print laser-quality documents and lab-quality photos from your smartphone or tablet
- Designed to fit your life: Save your space with a compact all-in-1 designed to fit on your desk, on a shelf, or anywhere you need it
The HP OfficeJet 3830 All-in-One Wireless Printer is a versatile device that is designed to make your life easier. This color inkjet photo printer is equipped with multiple functions such as copying, scanning, faxing, and wireless printing. With two-sided duplex printing and scanning, you can save time and paper. The printer features a color touchscreen that allows for easy navigation and control. The automatic document feeder makes it easy to scan multiple pages at once.
One of the most convenient features of this printer is its compatibility with HP Instant Ink. This means that you will never run out of ink again as the printer will automatically order new ink for you when it runs low. Additionally, you can enroll in HP Instant Ink during the printer setup and get your first 2 months free. Plans start at just 0.99 dollar per month after the trial period. Shipping and recycling are included.
- All-in-one device for copying, scanning, faxing, and wireless printing.
- Two-sided duplex printing and scanning for time and paper saving.
- Automatic ink ordering with HP Instant Ink.
- Compact design to fit on a desk or shelf.
- The HP Smart app allows easy setup and control from a smartphone.
- HP Instant Ink subscription required for automatic ink ordering and can add to the cost of ownership.
- It may not have the highest printing quality for professional use.
- The touchscreen may not be responsive for some users.
6. Dell E310DW Printer
- Print up to 27 pages per minute (ppm), and save time with automatic two-sided printing.
- The optional high-yield toner cartridge prints up to 2, 600 pages, and the single fuser unit is Designed to last the life of the printer.
- Dell printer hub integrates printer essentials and cloud connectivity for easy document management and control of your printer.
The Dell E310DW Wireless Monochrome Printer is a reliable and efficient option for everyday printing needs. It boasts a fast printing speed of up to 27 pages per minute, and comes equipped with automatic two-sided printing to save time and paper. Additionally, the optional high-yield toner cartridge can print up to 2,600 pages, making it a cost-effective choice for high-volume printing.
One of the standout features of this printer is its durable design. The single fuser unit is specifically designed to last the life of the printer, reducing the need for costly replacements. The Dell printer hub also adds convenience to the user experience by integrating printer essentials and cloud connectivity for easy document management and control.
The Dell Printer E310DW is also easy to set up and get running quickly, thanks to the Dell Printer Easy Installer. The package includes the printer, a software and documentation CD, a ship-with black cartridge with a 700 page yield, a power cord, a USB cable, and a setup guide. This makes it easy for users to get started with their new printer and start printing right away. With its combination of speed, efficiency, and durability, the Dell E310DW Wireless Monochrome Printer is an excellent choice for any home or small office.
- Fast printing speed of up to 27 pages per minute.
- Automatic two-sided printing for time and paper savings.
- Optional high-yield toner cartridge with a print yield of 2,600 pages.
- Single fuser unit designed to last the life of the printer.
- Dell printer hub for easy document management and control.
- The product is monochrome, not color.
- The package does not include the optional high-yield toner cartridge.
- It’s not a multifunctional printer, lacking scanner, copier and fax functions.
7. HP Color LaserJet Pro M255dw
- Impress with color and increase efficiency: This business printer offers extraordinary wireless printing, fast print speeds––up to 22 ppm, automatic two-sided printing, and an intuitive 2.7 color touchscreen
- Print remotely with the HP Smart app: Set up your LaserJet printer, manage print jobs, receive notifications, and print and scan on the go with HP Smart––HPs best-in-class mobile print app
- Save time with customizable shortcuts: Eliminate steps in repetitive tasks and organize documents 50% faster directly from your mobile device using exclusive office features in the HP Smart app
- Strong security: Help protect your HP printer and sensitive business data with built-in security essentials that help detect and stop attacks
- Wireless connectivity you can count on: Have confidence in your connection with steady performance from dual band Wi-Fi
- JetIntelligence value: Count on Original HP Toner cartridges with JetIntelligence to enable professional-quality pages, peak printing performance every time, and protection against counterfeits with innovative anti-fraud technology
- Wide range of paper support: This color LaserJet printer works with letter, legal, executive, Oficio, 4x6 in, 5x8 in, A4, A5, A5-R, A6, B5, B6, 16K, Postcard, Double Postcard, Envelopes (No. 10,B5, C5, DL, Monarch)
- One-year limited hardware warranty: Get one-year commercial hardware warranty, plus 24-hour, 7 days a week Web support
- This printer is intended to work only with cartridges with original HP chips or circuitry and will block cartridges using non-HP chips or circuitry. Periodic firmware updates will maintain the effectiveness of these measures. More at
The HP Color LaserJet Pro M255dw Wireless Laser Printer is a business-class printer that offers a range of features to help increase efficiency and productivity. With fast print speeds of up to 22 pages per minute and automatic two-sided printing, this printer can handle large print jobs quickly and easily. The intuitive 2.7" color touchscreen allows for easy navigation and control of the printer's various functions.
One of the standout features of this printer is its ability to print remotely using the HP Smart app. This app allows users to set up the printer, manage print jobs, receive notifications, and even print and scan on the go. This feature is particularly useful for those who need to print from multiple locations or for those who are always on the go. Additionally, the app also provides customizable shortcuts that can help eliminate steps in repetitive tasks, resulting in a more efficient workflow.
- Fast print speeds of up to 22 pages per minute
- Automatic two-sided printing
- Intuitive 2.7″ color touchscreen
- Print remotely with the HP Smart app
- Strong security with built-in security essentials
- This printer is intended to work only with cartridges with original HP chips or circuitry, and will block cartridges using non-HP chips or circuitry
- Periodic firmware updates are required to maintain the effectiveness of the built-in security measures
- One-year limited hardware warranty with 24/7 web support only.
8. Canon imageCLASS MF445dw
- USABILITY: 5 intuitive, color touchscreen with smartphone-like usability. A unique, customized device experience with Application Library.
- Create Wi-Fi Direct hotspot from the printer to establish direct connection to compatible mobile device(s) without the need for an external router.
- QUALITY AND RELIABILITY: Canons signature reliability and engine technologies help keep productivity high and minimize the impact on support resources. Intuitive maintenance videos for common tasks like consumables replacement. Designed to achieve maximum uptime with status notifications to help keep supplies replenished.
- WORKFLOW EFFICIENCY: Supports mobile solutions for printing and scanning. Scan and convert documents to searchable digital files through a single-pass duplex document feeder. Designed for small print jobs with first-print time as fast as 5.3 seconds.
- COST EFFICIENCY: Out-of-the-box, standard two-sided printing plus the ability to print multiple pages onto one page helps to reduce paper consumption. Available high-capacity cartridge helps reduce overall supply costs.
- SECURITY: Low risk of confidential information loss, as documents are only stored in short-term memory. Security settings can be set behind an administrator log-in. Verify System at Startup is a process to help verify the validity of the device firmware and Application Library from unauthorized modifications.
- MOBILE-FRIENDLY DEVICE ACCESS: From application-based to cloud-based to device native, the imageCLASS MF445dw model offers a variety of methods for printing from a mobile phone or tablet across iOS and Android devices.
- The Canon PRINT Business application, which supports both platforms, offers access to additional device settings as well as the ability to scan from the printer to a mobile phone or tablet.
The imageCLASS MF445dw is an all-in-one, wireless, mobile-ready laser printer that comes with a 3-year warranty. This printer is designed for small businesses and offers a range of features that help to increase efficiency and productivity. One of the key features of this printer is its 5" intuitive, color touchscreen with smartphone-like usability. The device also comes with an Application Library, which allows for a unique and customized experience.
Another standout feature of the imageCLASS MF445dw is its ability to create a Wi-Fi Direct hotspot from the printer. This allows for a direct connection to compatible mobile devices without the need for an external router. This feature is particularly useful for those who need to print from multiple locations or for those who are always on the go. Additionally, the printer also supports mobile solutions for printing and scanning, which makes it even more convenient to use.
- 5″ intuitive, color touchscreen with smartphone-like usability and an Application Library
- Create Wi-Fi Direct hotspot from the printer for direct mobile device connection
- High quality and reliability with Canon’s signature technologies and intuitive maintenance videos
- Workflow efficiency with mobile printing and scanning, duplex document feeder and fast first-print time
- Cost efficiency with standard two-sided printing and high-capacity cartridge option
- Some users may find the interface of the Application Library not very user-friendly
- The device only store documents in short-term memory
- The printer is not suitable for large print jobs.
9. HP Laserjet Pro M254dw
- This Certified Refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, basic cleaning, inspection, and repackaging. The product ships with all relevant accessories, a minimum 90-day warranty, and may arrive in a generic box. Only select sellers who maintain a high performance bar may offer Certified Refurbished products on Amazon.com
- The Printer and Power cord only, Toner is not included
- BIG PERFORMANCE IN A SMALL PACKAGE – This compact color laser printer features fastest in-class two-sided printing and first page out, plus mobile and wireless printing, USB port, and a 2.7-inch color touchscreen
- FAST PRINT SPEEDS - Prints up to 22 pages per minute black/color, first page out as fast as 10.2 sec black and 11.8 sec color, input tray paper capacity up to 250 sheets
- EASILY PRINT FROM YOUR MOBILE DEVICE – Simply connect your iOS or Android device to the same network as your printer to print, or print without a network using Wi-Fi Direct
The HP Laserjet Pro M254dw Wireless Color Laser Printer is a compact and efficient printer that is perfect for any office or personal use. This Certified Refurbished product has been tested and certified to look and work like new, and it comes with all relevant accessories and a minimum 90-day warranty. The printer is sold "Printer and Power cord only, Toner is not included"
One of the standout features of this printer is its fast print speeds. It can print up to 22 pages per minute in both black and color, with the first page out as fast as 10.2 seconds for black and 11.8 seconds for color. The input tray has a paper capacity of up to 250 sheets, so you won't have to constantly refill it.
Another great feature of the HP Laserjet Pro M254dw is its mobile and wireless printing capabilities. You can easily connect your iOS or Android device to the same network as your printer to print, or even print without a network using Wi-Fi Direct. This printer also features a 2.7-inch color touchscreen for easy navigation and control. Overall, the HP Laserjet Pro M254dw is a powerful and versatile printer that offers big performance in a small package.
- Fast print speeds of up to 22 pages per minute black/color
- First page out as fast as 10.2 sec black and 11.8 sec color
- Input tray paper capacity up to 250 sheets
- Mobile and wireless printing capabilities
- 2.7-inch color touchscreen for easy navigation and control
- Toner is not included
- It is a refurbished product
- Only select sellers who maintain a high-performance bar may offer Certified Refurbished products on Amazon.com
Also Read: Best Epson Printer For Sublimation
How To Choose The Best Printers for Occasional Use | Ultimate Guide 2023
Printing in Color or Black and White for infrequent use?
Another aspect to consider before buying a printer for occasional use is if you need a color printer or we can settle for normal black and white printing.
This choice will affect the cost of purchasing the printer, the cost per print, and the replacement cartridges, so you must also ask yourself this question before buying one. I remember that there are also very small printers for small printing
Which printer to buy
You have finally said goodbye to your old printer, and you are ready to buy a new one but you still don't know which one to take: is a classic inkjet better, or is it better to switch to a laser printer? Is a “pure” printer preferable or a multifunctional printer? These are all legitimate questions and, if you want, I can help you find the answers you are looking for. Let's start by clarifying a fundamental concept compatible with many types of products: the perfect printer does not exist, it all depends on the needs you have and the type of use you intend to make of the device.
It is clear that the characteristics that a photo printer must have are different than those of a model designed for printing documents, however, knowing a couple of notions will be a breeze to guide you in buying the best printer for your very personal needs. If for you terms such as DPI, toner, and print resolution are part of an unknown language, do not worry, because on this page I will guide you in the purchase of your next printer by explaining step by step everything you need to know.
To find out which printer to buy, you must first consider your needs and then evaluate the technical characteristics and prices of each product. Before pointing out the best printer models available in stores today, I will explain the meaning of the different features and components that you will find in the various printers on the market, and I will try to make sure that when you click the button to complete the purchase you will no longer have the even the slightest doubt, making your own the model that best suits your tastes.
Simple Printer or Multifunction?
Choosing a multifunction printer (with a scanner included) is another parameter to consider. If you have school-age children or do not have an office sometimes you need to make photocopies or scans of documents, a multifunction printer is also recommended in the home, on par with a document shredder now mandatory. Incidentally, it is also a very popular feature for portable printers to carry with you in your bag.
The inkjet printer is the most classic, the cheapest, and the most versatile. But when we buy something besides the economic aspect it is also necessary to address the durability aspect.
Most inkjet printers have two separate color cartridges: one for black and one for the primary colorscyan , magenta, and yellow.
Also Read: Best Printer For Infrequent Use
The price of a black cartridge for a cheap inkjet printer can be around dollar 15, while a color cartridge can cost around dollar 25.
A new inkjet printer comes with two test cartridges in the box ( ie fully functional but not completely filled with ink ) so it is always worth buying a couple of replacement cartridges along with the new printer.
Considering that a cheap inkjet printer can cost less than dollar 50 and that a couple of replacement cartridges can cost around dollar 40, it goes without saying that the total price is very low.
However, another fundamental aspect must be considered, the number of prints, which with the cartridges for the aforementioned printer is very low (about 120 pages, but always depends on the type and quality of printing ). In addition, inkjet printers, if not used frequently, tend to have printing problems. The residual ink from the print head can dry out when not in use, and even if you start head cleaning, the problem may not go away. In this case, if the printer is used a little, you need to buy a new print cartridge.
Also Read: Best Dtg Printer For Small Business
A color laser printer, on the other hand, is initially more expensive, in fact, it is necessary to spend at least dollar 150 if you want to buy a good quality product, moreover with the cartridge included in the price you can print about 700 pages. In addition to costing much more, it uses print toners (cartridges) that are more expensive than normal inkjet cartridges but are capable of printing much more than inkjet cartridges. A replacement color toner that can print around 1000 pages costs around dollar 150.
A point in favor of the Laser Printer is when we talk about printing efficiency. With a laser printer we can print much more, so the cost per print is much lower than with an inkjet printer. Furthermore, laser printing, being “cleaner”, does not incur malfunctions and deteriorations as happens with inkjet print cartridges. Therefore ideal if you are looking for a printer for infrequent use, to be used occasionally.
What other technical features must be taken into consideration before buying a printer? The speed and resolution of printing, the availability of features such as automatic duplexing, and more. Let's try to analyze the various aspects one at a time.
Weight and size
The first features that I recommend you to consider, weight and dimensions, are not purely technical but can help you avoid big problems during the first phases of introducing your new printer into the environment. The inkjet models are almost all compact, while among the laser printers, there are very bulky devices. Before completing a purchase (especially if you do it online) carefully check that the dimensions and weight of the printer (for example if you have to place it on a desk that is not too sturdy) are not excessive for the space you have available.
Also Read: Best Printer for Vehicle Wraps 2022
Print speed and resolution
Let's start with the technicalities. I'll be quick and I hope you won't get bored: a printer's speed is expressed in pages per minute (ppm) orimages per minute (ipm) and often has a different value for pages printed in black and white and pages printed in color. The print resolution is expressed in DPI(dots per inch) and often has two different values: one that represents the basic resolution of the prints and one that is "increased" that the printer is able to obtain thanks to algorithms for image enhancement. RAM, which in laser printers is almost always expandable, is one of the components that help determine the print speed of a printer, take that into consideration.
In multifunction printers, it is important to know the resolution (therefore the quality) of the scanned images. Also in this case the values to be taken into consideration are two: one which represents the basic resolution of the scans, the optical resolution, and one “increased” that the scanner is able to generate thanks to the image interpolation technologies.
Also Read: How To Make Prints of Watercolor Paintings
Almost all printers are able to print on classic A4 format sheets, but support for other sheet formats (eg A3) is not always guaranteed. If you have specific needs in this regard, check the characteristics of the printer you are about to buy considering the size of the sheets you want to use for your prints.
There are a few things you need to know about paper handling, such as automatic duplexing. This function allows the printer to print on two sides of a sheet without the user having to reposition the paper in the sheet tray, and is very useful, especially in a professional environment. The ADF, on the other hand, is a component that allows the scanner of multifunction printers to automatically load sheets. If you are interested in these two features, make sure they are present in the printer you are about to purchase.
Each printer has a tray for loading paper, which can hold a different number of sheets based on its configuration (manufacturers report how many sheets can be fed at the same time). The paper can also be characterized by its weight , or rather its "consistency".
Another definition you need to know is that relating to the press or job cycle. This is a value that printer manufacturers (especially laser printers) use to indicate the number of pages that the device can guarantee within a given period of time (eg 1 month). If you plan to take full advantage of your printer, make sure its monthly workload is compatible with your needs.
Also Read: Best Printer For Giclee Prints
Maintenance, consumption, noise
In addition to the theoretical issues, there are also some practical issues in buying a printer. One of these is the price of replacement cartridges or toner: many do not think about it but before buying a printer it would be advisable to inquire about the prices of toner or replacement cartridges. In fact, cheaper printers often turn out to be a missed deal because their replacement cartridges or toners cost almost as much as the printer itself!
If you plan to use your next printer for several hours a day, buy one with low energy consumption, otherwise your next electricity bill could be higher than expected. There are no big differences in this particular area between models of the same market range, however, before avoiding unpleasant inconveniences, I recommend that you always take a look at this feature as well.
Another apparently trivial detail that many people do not think about is the noise level of a printer when printing documents. If you intend to use your next printer for several hours a day and do not want to “destroy” your eardrums (or destroy them for those around you), before proceeding with the purchase inform yourself about the degree of the noise of the device by consulting reviews and comments online
Also Read: Best Printer For Barcode Labels
Leave a Reply